Tuesday, November 6, 2012

From the Other Side of the Desk

Recently I was hired to teach at a junior college, and for the first time, I find myself on the other side of the desk as an instructor.

I thought I would be nervous, but I didn't suffer the apprehension I believed I might.  So far the experience has been quite enjoyable.  Normally, I have a hard time remembering names, but I determined early on to change this.  And to my surprise I learned each student's name on the first day of class and remembered them all.

As I prepare lessons, my mind races back to the days when I sat listening to the best lecturer I ever had--Mr. Ranson at Northeast State Junior College in Rainsville, Alabama.  Don't get me wrong.  I had a LOT of great instructors over the years, but he ranked the highest due to his speech delivery process.  I still remember a lot of what he lectured about in Western Civilization, even though almost 20 years has passed by.  He was an outstanding lecturer and had he taught other courses that I needed, I would have gladly taken them, just to hear him lecture.

Here's hoping I can follow suit as I begin this new journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment